Subject: Re: Problems with ath(4)
To: None <10.50@free.fr>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/2005 09:04:36
Vincent <10.50@free.fr> writes:
>> I find that changing the card mode (11a, 11b, etc.) a couple of times
>> with ifconfig seems to get it back.
>
> When the link goes down, a simple "ifconfig ath0 down" followed by
> "ifconfig ath0 up" does not work. The link is restored at the 802.11
> level, but no ping would work. If, instead of "ifconfig ath0 up", I
> do: "ifconfig ath0 up nwkey 0xblahblah", it works fine again.

I find the sequence

ifconfig ath0 mode auto
ifconfig ath0 mode 11b

and similar things will also make it work fine.

I'm starting to think it may in fact be that settings get corrupted in
the card and changing card parameters (rather than just bringing it up
and down) somehow fixes that. I can't be sure though.

> I *really* suspect WEP to go astray.

Ed Gould does not seem to be using WEP and he is also seeing the
problem, so I suspect it is not WEP.

> There was the same problem long ago =D1 I mean during spring, when I
> bought my card. Then the hal code and driver were updated and I
> noticed considerable improvement (no noticeable disconnections
> anymore). Something must have changed during this summer, while I was
> away on holidays. This is some sort of regression.

Yes. There was a new HAL imported recently. I think that we're all
seeing the resulting problems.

Perry