Subject: Re: why do we do it
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/2005 01:29:04
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:32:35 +0200
> Erik Bertelsen <bertelsen.erik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I wonder how long time a full NetBSD build takes on the slowest
> > hardware able to do the build itself :-)
> I suspect this would be a VAX 11/750: 0.65 MIPS.
> More common is a MicroVAX II: 0.9 MIPS.
> There is the even slower VAX 11/730: 0.3 MIPS, but IIRC it is not
> supported by NetBSD.
>
> I leave it to your homework to calculate estimated build times based on
> the MIPS numbers. ;-)

I can also tell that on a VAX-8650, it takes a little over a week
nowadays.
In speed comparision, a VAX-8650 is about 6 VUPS (maybe a bit more), while
the 11/750 is the same 0.65 VUPS. That would leave us somewhere around 11
weeks. Now, an 11/750 can't have more than 14 megs of physical memory (or
something like it), which means it will probably be even worse.

And after running for the first five days or so, you'll have a crash in
build.sh, so you need to restart it, giving -u three times before it will
carry on building to the end, assuming you don't have a power outage along
the way. :-)

	Johnny