Subject: and -U confusion
To: None <>
From: Greg Troxel <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/10/2005 17:04:17
I ran as me with -U and made a release.  I then ran
as root to install, and didn't give -U.  This was a script programming
error on my part, but could have been a regular human error.

I ended up with a system with files in e.g. /usr/bin owned by gdt,
with no suid bits.  netstat didn't work, and I think sshd didn't
start.  While I realize this was my fault, it would be nice if
./ install without -U errored out if the build had METALOG

My release sets apparently have root-owned files in them, so I don't
understand what went wrong, other than it seems to be the lack of -U
to install.