Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?pam_too_verbose_?=
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/2005 21:54:25
hello List,

I've installed NetBSD from today's sources and enabled telnet without
authorization in inetd.conf
When trying to log in via telnet from another machine following happens:

NetBSD/i386 (current.aydogan.net) (ttyp0)

login: root

Password: <now I'm entering the correct root password>
login: pam_acct_mgmt: authentication error

Lost Connection to Host.

At the first glance, this looks normal.
But now, another try....

NetBSD/i386 (current.aydogan.net) (ttyp0)

login: root

Password: <now I'm entering a wrong root password>
Login incorrect
login: login:

So, what's the difference ?
The Verbose PAM Message is telling you, that you have entered the correct
root password.

I would expect, that when I'm entering the right or wrong root password,
that I'm getting the same Message - "Login incorrect".
In this case, I think, when authorized, you get through to PAM, which denies
your login attempt.
But shouldn't the attempt denied before it is authenticated.

Zafer.