Subject: Re: pf status
To: None <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/2005 10:46:26
In message <pan.2005.07.29.10.51.32.978746@pc313.imc.cas.cz>, Pavel Cahyna writ
es:
>On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:14:20 +0200, Marcin Jessa wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 03:01:14 -0700
>> jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca (John Nemeth) wrote:
>>
>>> On Dec 18,  6:53am, Marcin Jessa wrote:
>>> }
>>> } I was also wondering if anyone is working on kernel implementation of CAR
>P.
>>>
>>>      Personally, I think we should do something like VRRP, which is
>>> standards compliant, instead of using NIH stuff that will have limited
>>> compatibility.
>>
>> CARP is free implementation of VRRP which CISCO claims rights to.
>
>How can it be free, then? Patents are granted for ideas, not for
>implementations.

Reading a patent takes training; it's not simply "the idea" that's
patented.  A patent contains, among other things, a series of claims.
Each claim contains a series of elements.  In order for something to
infringe, it has to contain *all* of the elements of any one claim.  Of
course, a good lawyer tries to write claims that cover all interesting
variations of the idea, but it's not always easy.  Suppose you designed
and patented a new cryptosystem.  You had about twenty claims, each of
which described the encryptor and decryptor.  Someone who built only
encryptors but not decryptors wouldn't infringe -- their devices would
not have all of the elements of any single claim.  (That is not a
contrived example.  If you look at the old (expired) RSA patent, you'll
see that (if I recall correctly) all but one of the claims does mention
both ends.)