Subject: Re: problems with mode/media specifications in dhclient?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/2005 20:40:37
On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 05:29:56AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> in my dhclient.conf file, it doesn't get a lease.

How patient are you with dhclient?  I know that on my laptop it seems
that dhclient tries a few times without media options and then decides
to turn them on and try again.  With my old access point it would take
a couple of tries for dhclient to get a lease after that - now that I
am using NetBSD for my dhcp server the leases seem to be served much
faster.

Both my laptop and the dhcp server are recent-ish -current machines,
my dhclient.conf looks like:

interface "wi0" {
        supersede host-name "rover";
        media "nwkey 0xnaughtywordhere media autoselect nwid Anwid";
        prepend domain-name "some.random.domain ";
        request routers, static-routes, subnet-mask,  broadcast-address,  time-offset, domain-name, domain-name-servers;
}

I don't have any global optins set in my dhclient.conf at
all... everything is default.

--
Brett Lymn