Subject: Re: quiet SCSI SCA drives?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/2005 10:18:02
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 01:10 -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> I powered down a bunch of machines while I was out of town for a week,
> and my SS20 failed to come back up - lack of disk noise suggested the
> disk had frozen (must be at least 5 years old so no surprise).
>
> I had a SUN 1G drive in my spares box to confirm the above, but it is
> way too noisy.
>
> Can anyone recommend a suitable drive - the dead one is a
> ST34371WC
> it was a tad noisy but nothing like the 1G.
> I'd assumed I want to avoid 10,000 RPM disks but that seems to be the
> slowest scsi drives seagate make?
>
> --sjg

hi,

i like the Fujitsu SCSI HDs very much, i run them in my sgi's (Octane2,
O2), my Suns (SS20MP, U2E MP) and some other nice boxes.

i got 18GByte and larger drives, they're all 10.000rpm and got a huge
Cache. they are /very/ quiet and stay cool even in a not-so-good cooled
environment, and they're fast :) (have a look at [1] -- the temperature
is mentioned there, too)

you can get them pretty cheap at eDump (e.g.) nowadays...

HTH,

timo

[1] -- http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20020117/