Subject: Re: /etc/login.conf required to exist after user(8) changes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/2005 04:52:31
In message <20050731094755.GA24014@drowsy.duskware.de>, Martin Husemann writes:
>On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 06:32:35AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> However, there also exist platforms on which any reference to them, even
>> a comparison to NULL, causes undefined behavior.
>
>Out of curiosity, care to give any pointers/details/implementation details?
>
>Withoug looking at the standard, my gut feeling is that those implementaitons
>would be non conforming, but it would be very entertaining to be proven
>wrong here ;-)

Well, strictly speaking, it causes undefined behavior on all platforms, it's
just that on some platforms, the behavior is invariably "compare to the value
that used to be there, which hasn't changed and has the same meaning it always
did".

We could probably make the library much more aggressive about protecting
chunks of memory that were not currently allocated; I don't know whether this
would be useful or not, but it would be an excellent debugging tool.

-s