Subject: Re: pf status
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/30/2005 13:20:10
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:18:08 +0200
Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:00:09PM +0200, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:24:44 +0200
> > Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:56:46 +0200, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> > Documentation:
> > http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=carp
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=carp&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-current&format=html
>
> I know this, and it is not a documentation of the protocol, it only
> explains how to use the carp pseudo-device.

"One might rather want to see some documentation, which is unfortunately missing."
I provided you with some documentation.
I could'n really know what kind of documentation you were looking for judging by your rather unclear expectations.
These links may be of help:
http://www.countersiege.com/doc/pfsync-carp/
This one explains why VRRP cannot be used. Look at the text on the left side.
http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#35

> > > BTW if you have experience with CARP, could you please explain why a
> > > kernel implementation is desirable,
> > Correct handling of arp i would say.
> >
> > >and how is it related to the pf firewall?
> > "Additions to the pfsync(4) interface allow CARP to synchronise state
> > table entries between two or more firewalls which are operating in
> > parallel, allowing stateful connections to cross any of the firewalls
> > regardless of where the state was initially created."
>
> Where have you found this paragraph? It sounds strange, because it
> contradicts the carp(4) manpage which don't state at all that CARP can
> syncronize state table entries. According to the manpages, it rather seems
> that CARP and pfsync are independent protocols, with different protocol
> numbers.

http://www.openbsd.org/35.html#new
Check out the "What's New" part.