Subject: Re: /etc/login.conf required to exist after user(8) changes
To: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/2005 04:44:14
On Dec 19,  7:50am, Jukka Salmi wrote:
} John Nemeth --> current-users (2005-07-29 04:03:47 -0700):
} >      I think more to the point, it is irrelevant that the pointer has
} > been freed.  It will still contain the same value.  The freeing
} > function can not modify the pointer itself; therefore, the second half
} > of the patch is completely unnecessary.  Trying to use the data pointed
} > to by the pointer would be wrong; however, the original code doesn't do
} > this, it merely compares the pointer to NULL.
}
} Sure, that's why I wrote "possible problem" (I possibly should have
} written "potential problem" instead). Just in case login_close(3) is
} somewhen changed to set `lc = NULL;' after `free(lc);'. I don't know
} how like this is, though...

     In order for login_close() to set 'lc = NULL' you would have to
pass a pointer to lc and not lc itself.  This would constitute an API
change and thus isn't very likely.

}-- End of excerpt from Jukka Salmi