Subject: data corruption - anoncvs or me?
To: None <>
From: Jukka Salmi <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/2005 17:08:39

after suspecting data corruption I checked out HEAD and netbsd-2 src
modules and compared them to those I already had on my local filesystem.
The first discrepancy I found explained an unexpected release build
failure I saw today:

$ diff 2.bak/distrib/sets/lists/man/mi 2/distrib/sets/lists/man/mi
< ./usr/share/man/man7/release.7                        man-reference-man       .mAn
> ./usr/share/man/man7/release.7                        man-reference-man       .man

And now the strange part: both HEAD and netbsd-2 repositories had the
same corruption in the same file, and again it's a capitalised 'a':

$ diff 2.bak/gnu/dist/gdb/bfd/elf64-mmix.c 2/gnu/dist/gdb/bfd/elf64-mmix.c
<             if (bpodAta == NULL)
>             if (bpodata == NULL)

$ diff c.bak/gnu/dist/gdb/bfd/elf64-mmix.c c/gnu/dist/gdb/bfd/elf64-mmix.c
<             if (bpodAta == NULL)
>             if (bpodata == NULL)

Hmm... were these files recently changed on anoncvs?

The system in question runs NetBSD/i386 3.99.7, the file system is ffs
on raid; I've never seen data corruption on this system so far.

Comments are welcome!

Regards, Jukka

bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~