Subject: Re: panic in new ieee1394 code
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/2005 13:55:19
On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 08:40:05PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> Only that the disk device does not detach when I disconnect it.
> Is this intended? It might be a good idea to have a device
> survive a temporary connection glitch, as long as it has
> a worldwide unique id... But this should probably be done
> at a higher layer as this is not a firewire specific issue.

I had noticed that too, but then saw this in the sbp(4) manpage:

     Some users familiar with umass(4) might wonder why the device is
     not detached at the scsi(4) layer when the device is unplugged.
     It is detached only if the device has not been plugged again
     during several bus resets. This is for preventing to detach an
     active file system even when the device cannot be probed
     correctly for some reason after a bus reset or when the device is
     temporary disconnected because the user changes the bus topology.
     If you want to force to detach the device, run fwctl -r several
     times.

INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 29 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++