Subject: Re: unattended cdboot
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/17/2005 23:11:37
On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:52:38AM +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> I disagree with your opinion Hubert.
> I think its usual to boot to harddisk, if no keys are pressed.
> If I choose to install I will press the apropriate key, or if there is a
> menu, choose the proper menu point.
> Because, let me assume I just installed the base system and do the first
> boot, then I want to boot into the system, and not again into the installer.
> (without removing the Media)
> Booted from disk, a configuration menu could pop up (package installer), and
> let me install packages, which are installed on the CD / DVD Media - which
> is luckily still in the Computer.
> This was correctly pointed out from junyoung.

Zafer,

Installation media is not the only application for a CD bootloader.
Just for example, I will use a CD bootloader to boot unattended routers.
The routers may or may not have a hard drive.  The hard drive may or
may not be bootable.  I always want for the routers to boot the CD-ROM.

I think it is a reasonable compromise for all of our needs, if the
keypress is configurable with, say, an installboot(8) option.

Dave