Subject: Re: ../../../../net/ syntax error
To: Greywolf <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/15/2005 10:26:47

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 06:01:47PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> [Thus spake Quentin Garnier ("QG: ") Yesterday...]
> QG: You should use instead of config/make depend/make.
> Always?  This seems OTT to me, especially since config/make depend/make
> has thus far been the usual (and much simpler) method.

Yes, always.  You're like Christos, old-fashioned.

The path is easy to document, and doesn't have the issues like
the one reported in that thread.

I don't mind the fact that people use config/make depend/make, but I do
think newcomers should get the path better advertised because
the list of caveats for the historic path is way too long, and we get
dozens of "error" reports each time config(1) has to be updated in

FWIW, I never do config/make depend/make anymore.  I find much
more simple, because it's very easy to build for another host/arch/source
tree that way.

Quentin Garnier - -

Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (NetBSD)