Subject: Re: ntpd dumping core on restart
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2005 11:00:29
(going through old mails)

On Tue 05 Apr 2005 at 16:47:26 -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> In message <20050405200204.527A92AC34@beowulf.gw.com>, Christos Zoulas writes:
> >Hmm, ok. Try commenting out the get/setrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK) calls
> >in /usr/src/dist/ntp/ntpd/ntpd.c. It could be running out of stack...
> >

> That seems to work.  I'm still at a loss to explain why ntpd fires
> up at boot time, but not thereafter.

My guess would be that at boot time the environment (variables) take a
lot less space than in your login session. You could verify that with
"env -i ...".

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                            --  rhialto/at/falu.nl
\X/ Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me to your .signature to help me spread!