Subject: Re: Embarrassing State of our Mirrors
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@NetBSD.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/07/2005 23:52:18
On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:01:25PM +0000, Rui Paulo wrote:

> That's just not true. You can't just say to someone supporting you
> "your mirror is slow it'll be removed from the list" or "you don't update
> your mirror frequently, then we'll remove you from the list".

Of course one can.  In the case of mirrors that are seldom or never
updated, in fact, we should.

I have been disturbed for a long time by the ease with which a mirror
can arrange to be listed in mirrors.html.  We don't know what most of
these mirrors are, in any strong sense, nor who runs them, nor what their
intentions may be.  Yet we even give many of them names in netbsd.org.

That should not be so.  There should be clear standards for mirrors to
be listed in that file, and when we learn that mirrors don't meet them,
we should remove them from the file.

Thor