Subject: Re: X programs
To: Amadeus Stevenson <>
From: Michael <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/2005 07:00:15

> I've spent the better part of this week trying to test some "useful"
> if not "heavy" X apps:
> gedit
> galeon
> firefox
> firefox-gtk1
> mozilla-gtk2
> I've managed to compile all of the above from pkgsrc on an
> ultra5/400mhz:
> NetBSD sparc 3.99.6 NetBSD 3.99.6 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Jun 19 16:08:44
> UTC 2005=20
> sparc64
> Both firefox's load initially, but then core dump (memory fault or bus
> error) fairly soon. There's nothing particular that forces them to do
> this, as sometimes I can access pages that would core dump previously.

There's a bug that leads to register content during syscalls, Martin is
working on it. This would affect all gecko-based applications and almost
certainly others too, but gecko seems to trigger it the most. The
symptom would be a very short or completely bogus stacktrace after such
a crash and the crashes themselves would be pretty random. Besides that
the gecko code contains various 64bit-related bugs, most should be fixed
in mozilla but I'm not sure all patches made it into the firefox

> However mozilla, gedit and galeon never manage to load before core

> All of them have:
> thread_resume_suspend_cb: td_thr_suspend(0x459840): generic error.
> [Switching to LWP 1]
> Stopped due to shared library event
> (gdb) cont
> Continuing.
> thread_resume_suspend_cb: td_thr_suspend(0x459840): generic error.
> 0x000000004030530c in _rtld_debug_state () from /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so

that's not what makes the apps crash. Start them and attach gdb later to
get past this and see the real crash ( at least that's the case here -
I get this error immediately after starting ff or mozilla in gdb ).
Anything that uses gecko should start slow enough to give you plenty of
time to do that.

> Does anyone else have these apps running OK?

I doubt it. Mozilla starts and even works for a while here but sooner or
later it will run into the syscall bug and crash.

have fun

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (NetBSD)