Subject: Re: The NetBSD Homepage
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Cameron Patrick <cameron@patrick.wattle.id.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/2005 19:39:54
Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek wrote:

> To sum up, NetBSD.org site is clearly superior to both of the corporete
> sites. RedHat is terrible, suse is usable. Suse probably loads slowly
> because of a redirect.

I'd agree with that.  On my not particularly high resolution display,
the Red Hat site appears boxed-in, occupying the middle ~50%
horizontally and ~80% vertically of the browser window.  Suse is just
plain ugly :-)

The OpenBSD site is also pretty shocking; the blue links on a blue
background are hard to read and the garish rainbow-coloured logo at
the top of the page doesn't do anything for me.  FreeBSD, NetBSD and
Debian all have similar-looking plain but functional designs.  NetBSD
looks the most visually appealing to me but I find the links on the
side harder to navigate (or perhaps less relevant?) than the FreeBSD
or Debian ones.  I've got no concrete suggestions about that at the
moment :-/ besides perhaps moving the full list of architectures from
the front page to a second-level page.

The Ubuntu web site http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ looks quite a bit
nicer than any of the ones mentioned in the thread so far.
Unfortunately they also have a wiki addiction and not very much useful
information...

Cameron.