Subject: Re: The NetBSD Homepage
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/2005 13:12:31
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 04:57:36PM +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I don't know what happened to the NetBSD Homepage (www.netbsd.org), but
> the Website currently looks ugly, when using the Internet Explorer as
> Browser. The Letters are somekind bold and hard to read.
> This wasn't like this before.
> Without starting an argument, about which Browser to use or not (this is
> IMHO personal), I think the Website SHOULD look fine readable, whatever
> Browser you choose.
> At this point, maybe I can encourage to redesign the www.netbsd.org
> Website. I think, we should have a more fresh design. By fresh I mean,
> modern, new fashioned with corporate Design. To give examples, maybe
> like www.suse.com or www.redhat.com

SuSe takes ages to load.

I thought NetBSD.org is somewhat low-contrast but then I saw SuSe with
its white text on lightgray..

And both suse and redhat use dropdown menus and rollover effects which
are annoying and will definitely fail with simpler browsers.

Redhat uses bitmaps extensively which cannot scale to higher resolution
screens.

Both suse and redhat sites look very differently in links. They are not
completely broken but some parts are hard to read and some parts of
RedHat site are missing - probably available only as bitmaps..

To sum up, NetBSD.org site is clearly superior to both of the corporete
sites. RedHat is terrible, suse is usable. Suse probably loads slowly
because of a redirect.

NetBSD.org could certainly make use of a different colors. But preferred
color combinations are highly subjective and dependent on display
hardware.
Current colors are quite usable on both CRT and LCD screens and they are
set correctly at least (which is unfortunately not commomnplace on the
web).

If your fonts look weird on NetBSD.org you should determine what causes
it. Since nobody else could reproduce it so far it is probably caused by
your browser settings.

Thanks

Michal Suchanek