Subject: Re: progress meter in pkg_add
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/2005 10:25:47
It occurred to me that Zafer Aydogan wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
> Hello List,
>
> I was thinking about, how comfortable it would be, to have a progress
> meter, while installing packages with PKG_ADD, especially, when
> installing large ones.

How correct would such a taskbar be? The actual extraction of packages
is merely one of the steps pkg_add does; usually, it's extracted to
a temporary directory first, several checks are applied, it is moved
to the final destination afterwards, and the pkgdb is updated. Of these
steps, you take only ONE task to base your progress bar on - quite possibly
not even the one that will take the most time, as the extraction might
very well be faster than the copy.

So, in the long run, you end up with a progress bar with the most annoying
feature of all: Sitting at 100% for a seemingly endless amount of time. Not
particulary interesting, if you ask me.