Subject: Re: Linksys WPC54G
To: None <>
From: David Young <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/2005 11:33:20
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:38:24PM +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> Hi!
> Anyone using Linksys WPC54G adapter? I'm getting this to dmesg on 3.99.6:
> Broadcom, 802.11b CardBus, 8.0, M^? (manufacturer 0x0, product 0x0)
> Broadcom product 0x4320 (miscellaneous network, revision 0x03) at cardbus0
> dev 0 function 0 not configured

Here is more information than you wanted to know. :-)

Sadly, Broadcom wireless adapters are not supported, because documentation
is not available.  I have heard that not even Microsoft can get hold of
the documentation in order to produce a "Native WiFi" driver; Broadcom
prefers for everyone to use their binary driver.

You might try getting somebody from Broadcom on the phone to try to
persuade them to release documentation, or else send a polite e-mail to
their wireless product manager, if you can find out who that is.

I think that one could reverse-engineer the Broadcom wireless chip by
watching the Windows driver at work.  You can build an affordable bus
analyzer with the device at <>.

For what it's worth, there was a cheeky article in The Economist [1]
that chastised Broadcom for its closedness.  The paper [2] by Christian
Sandvig, David Young, and Sascha Meinrath inspired the article in The

[1] (subscription required)

David Young             OJC Technologies      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933