Subject: Re: The NetBSD Homepage
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20050615T074346@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/2005 08:17:27
Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org> writes:
> At this point, maybe I can encourage to redesign the www.netbsd.org
> Website. I think, we should have a more fresh design. By fresh I mean,
> modern, new fashioned with corporate Design. To give examples, maybe
> like www.suse.com or www.redhat.com

You might also want to check those two sites when the user has a
higher resolution display or selects larger fonts.  Modern window
systems like X allow one to run 1600x1200, 1920x1440 or even higher.
When doing that it is nice to select fonts by point sizes.  You can
get the same physical size font as you would with a lower resolution
display.  The only difference is that the curves and serifs look quite
a bit nicer.

Now the problem is that quite a lot of web pages are designed for what
appears to be VGA graphics.  Instead of using resolution independent
(or better yet, font size independent) methods to specify object sizes
the web "designer" counts pixels on their display and assumes the
whole world uses the same resolution.  Both the Redhat and Suse sites
have downright awful overwriting problems in the top area for this
reason.

Now the good thing about the Redhat site is that at least it is
xhtml-strict with all the css stuff in an include file.  In theory
they could edit it to change their "px" values to the corresponding
"em" (or perhaps "%" or "+1" "-1" constructs) and fix most of their
problems.

-wolfgang