Subject: Re: SCSI drive failure.
To: Cameron Brown <cbrown@perpich.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/2005 20:47:35
On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 12:13:54PM -0400, Cameron Brown wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am having a recurring SCSI error on an older box with a new NetBSD installation. I am not finding any useful answers out there in netland yet, though will keep searching.  Would also appreciate any feedback from this group.
>
> Thanks,
> Cameron

> HERE IS THE ERROR
>
> sd0 (esiop0:0:0:0): command with tag id # reset         [ this line repeats with # incrementing ]

What's interesting is what caused the SCSI bus to be reset. This is probably
in previous messages. Could be a command timeout or a parity error.

> sd0: async, 8-bit transfers, tagged queuing
> sd0: sync (50.00ns offset 15), 16-bit (40.000MB/s) transfers, tagged queuing
> sd0: waiting for pack to spin up...

This probably means the drive's motor has stopped. I'd say this drive is
dead.
But command timeout can also be caused by bad SCSI cables.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>