Subject: Re: Console login fails with NIS
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/2005 11:03:46
Martti Kuparinen wrote:

>> I suspect that, even if the root account is local, it still needs to
>> access
>> NIS to know to which groups it belongs.
>

> That was it. But why doesn't this work?
>
> group:          files nis [unavail=return]
> passwd:         files nis
>
> If I remove "nis [unavail=return]" from group: then I get instant login.
> With the above settings I'm still getting yp_client timeouts (I only
> waited two timeout messages).
>
> Martti

Because it never times out and comes back as "unavailable".

NIS will never return an "unavailable" state unless NIS is not running.
This is likely to prevent miscreants from using a DoS on NIS to force it
to time out and use an alternate resource.

Thus has it been since (NIS_t)(time_t) 0;

--
				--*greywolf;