Subject: ..and use mirrors! (was Re: current anoncvs machine needs a ticket
To: S.P.Zeidler <spz@serpens.de>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2005 12:26:28
--------------enigB29C47A4CDB5B6FA5AD80FAD

S.P.Zeidler wrote:

>I don't know about you, I for one am royally peeved by this hardware
>and think it has to go. Since The NetBSD Foundation is probably not
>exactly wallowing in money, I've furthered this opinion with a donation
>to TNF for this purpose (paypal willing/working).
>
>If all you out there that use anoncvs just throw a fiver or tenner into
>that hat (no matter what currency :) too, TNF should be able to at least
>get the mainboard replaced with something that doesn't have bit rot.

Whereas I heartily agree that as soon as financially possible the
machine needs replacing, I would like to take this opportunity to
encourage people to use mirrors whenever possible.  It's true that
sometimes they get out of sync or have other issues, but most of the
time it's better than not being available at all.  :-)

I can. of course, only vouch for the one I maintain
(anoncvs4.us.netbsd.org), but by and large, mirror maintainers work hard
to make sure this service is available and to help offload the Project's
servers - use them!

For those who need a reminder of how to switch to a different repository
with CVS (admittedly, it's not real intuitive) I usually do something
like the following:

% echo anoncvs@anoncvs4.us.netbsd.org:/cvsroot >/tmp/Root
% find /usr/src /usr/pkgsrc -name Root -exec cp /tmp/Root {} \;

+j