Subject: Re: Something not quite right with utmp(x)
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/2005 12:18:57
While we are at it: when using something along the line of

 ssh -l -n $HOST -x "rxvt -display .... &"

and $HOST is a 2.0_STABLE machine, I get:

utmp_update: /dev/ttyp0: Is not owned by you

and ineed, /dev/ttyp0 is owned by root:wheel, like all other ptys where
noone is logged in. This does not happen if I just do "ssh $HOST", since
the pty is owned by me as long as the ssh session lasts.

Now I could add a "sleep 5" after the & in the above command line (or
something to that effect) - or in this particular case use the rxvt -ut
command line option to prevent utpm updates, but I wonder if there is a
better fix or if this behaviour could cause other fallout.

On -current/3.x this does not happen - I'm using ptyfs there and all ptys
always are owned by root (even when someone is logged in).

Martin