Subject: Re: netboot -- U2 -> i386
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/2005 19:31:17
On Oct 10,  4:39am, Timo Schoeler wrote:
} thus John Nemeth spake:
} >
} >      Actually, given that Andrey's machine booted, I'm starting to
} > suspect that my machine has problems.  I just replaced a blown power
} > supply (it is/was plugged into an APC SmartUPS 1400, so the power
} > should have been good; however, I can speak to what the previous owner
} > did with it).  At the same time, I took the opportunity to stick in a
} > second processor and additional RAM.  I'm starting to suspect that I
} > may have another bad component.
}
} if you suspect that the machine has a (hardware) problem, why don't you
} install Solaris (stripped down, of course ;) and run SunVTS (for
} hardware testing) for a few hours/days... maybe this can tell you what's
} wrong (if something is).

     Kind of difficult to do when the machine won't boot.  Anyways, it
turned out to be a bad CPU.  :-(  I thought I had a spare CPU, but I
guess not, since the "spare" is now in the machine.  I now have it
running.  Thanks for everybody's help.  Now, to get it updated and get
back to the PAM, getpw*_r(), etc. stuff that I was working on.

}-- End of excerpt from Timo Schoeler