Subject: Re: mpt(4) issues, was: Why not softdep per default?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Petar Bogdanovic <p+netbsd@2005.smokva.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/24/2005 09:38:24
Hi Hauke & Manuel,

I've been reading your discussion and I thought, I could provide you
with some additional information, since we recently got a Sun Fire V20z
with a LSI-53c1020 SCSI-Controller. Yes, it's actually number *20 and
not *30, but as far as I saw the problem description on kern/26825 -
it's the same problem.

(I made a test with NetBSD/amd64 2.0.2 and I will try NetBSD/i386 3.99.5
during this or the next week..)

Manuel asked:

 > And does the problem happen when not in RAID mode?

No. If you turn off the RAID 1 functionality in the BIOS of the
controller, it will present you both drives as sd(4)-devices and you
will be able to extract all tar-files without any problems.

Since I use two Seagate-drives, the following firmware-upgrade looked
interesting as well:

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/u320_firmware.html

but then I recognized, that the drives already were shipped with
firmware 0007.

However: I could try to install NetBSD without RAID 1 support, then
switch to mpt(4) - the BIOS claims, that this is possible without any
data loss - and finally offer you a shell with sudo(8), if you want.

Just let me know.

Kind regards,

Petar