Subject: Re: netboot -- U2 -> i386
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/2005 10:03:33
thus John Nemeth spake:
> On Oct 9, 10:47am, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
> } On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 01:17:36AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> } > On Oct 8,  7:43pm, Andrey Petrov wrote:
> } > } On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:55:51AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> } >
> } > } >      My boot server works fine.  I can boot my SparcStation 5 from it.
> } > }
> } > } Your tcpdump doesn't show anything after tftp, probably you filterred
> } > } that out.  It would be interesting to see dump with those messages.
> } >
> } >      I did not filter anything out.  My filter basically looks for any
> } > packet with the MAC address of my Ultra 2.  I used the same filter for
> } > my SparcStation 5 (substituting its MAC address of course), so I know
> } > what it shows.  After it prints, "13000", it never prints anything
> } > else, never sends another packet, and I can't do Stop-A, which
> } > indicates that it has crashed hard.  As mentioned in the part that you
> } > snipped, the tcpdump is available at
> } > http://victoria.tc.ca/~jnemeth/u2-netboot-dump .
> }
> } 1) Try using the -vVdD flags and see if ofwboot.net is more loquacious.
>
>      Use these flags where?  With what command?
>
> } 2) Instead of using boot, do:
> }
> } ok  load-base dload ofwboot.net
> }
> } Then look at what you've got at load-base (load-base 1000 dump).  Once
> } you know the right data is there, you can `go' to execute it.
>
>      What should I expect to see?
>
>      Actually, given that Andrey's machine booted, I'm starting to
> suspect that my machine has problems.  I just replaced a blown power
> supply (it is/was plugged into an APC SmartUPS 1400, so the power
> should have been good; however, I can speak to what the previous owner
> did with it).  At the same time, I took the opportunity to stick in a
> second processor and additional RAM.  I'm starting to suspect that I
> may have another bad component.
>
> }-- End of excerpt from Eduardo Horvath

if you suspect that the machine has a (hardware) problem, why don't you
install Solaris (stripped down, of course ;) and run SunVTS (for
hardware testing) for a few hours/days... maybe this can tell you what's
wrong (if something is).

cheers,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.