Subject: Re: netboot -- U2 -> i386
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/19/2005 15:47:08
On Oct 9, 10:47am, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
} On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 01:17:36AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Oct 8,  7:43pm, Andrey Petrov wrote:
} > } On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:55:51AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} >
} > } >      My boot server works fine.  I can boot my SparcStation 5 from it.
} > }
} > } Your tcpdump doesn't show anything after tftp, probably you filterred
} > } that out.  It would be interesting to see dump with those messages.
} >
} >      I did not filter anything out.  My filter basically looks for any
} > packet with the MAC address of my Ultra 2.  I used the same filter for
} > my SparcStation 5 (substituting its MAC address of course), so I know
} > what it shows.  After it prints, "13000", it never prints anything
} > else, never sends another packet, and I can't do Stop-A, which
} > indicates that it has crashed hard.  As mentioned in the part that you
} > snipped, the tcpdump is available at
} > http://victoria.tc.ca/~jnemeth/u2-netboot-dump .
}
} 1) Try using the -vVdD flags and see if ofwboot.net is more loquacious.

     Use these flags where?  With what command?

} 2) Instead of using boot, do:
}
} ok  load-base dload ofwboot.net
}
} Then look at what you've got at load-base (load-base 1000 dump).  Once
} you know the right data is there, you can `go' to execute it.

     What should I expect to see?

     Actually, given that Andrey's machine booted, I'm starting to
suspect that my machine has problems.  I just replaced a blown power
supply (it is/was plugged into an APC SmartUPS 1400, so the power
should have been good; however, I can speak to what the previous owner
did with it).  At the same time, I took the opportunity to stick in a
second processor and additional RAM.  I'm starting to suspect that I
may have another bad component.

}-- End of excerpt from Eduardo Horvath