Subject: Re: netboot -- U2 -> i386
To: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/19/2005 00:55:51
On Oct 8,  7:26pm, Andrey Petrov wrote:
} On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:47:05AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Oct 8,  5:32pm, Andrey Petrov wrote:
} > } On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 07:44:51PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > } >      Going back to the Ultra 2, I see it downloading the last part of
} > } > ofwboot.net and acknowledging it.  Then nothing.  There are no more
} > } > packets sent, nothing printed on the screen, and I can't do Stop-A.
} > } > Presumably this is point where it should start to execute ofwboot.net,
} > } > but instead it is locking up hard.  I have a packet dump if it is
} > } > needed (located at http://victoria.tc.ca/~jnemeth/u2-netboot-dump ).
} > } > ofwboot.net is from
} > } > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/sparc64/installation/netboot/ofwboot.net.
} > } > Does anybody have any ideas?  Does anybody have a binary of the current
} > } > version of ofwboot.net handy, so I can just grab the one file?
} > }
} > } At some point ofwboot had been changed to use dhcp first and then bootparamd,
} > } so if you don't have dhcpd configured and running then you'll see some delay
} > } [around a minute] and then you have to see bootparam used and kernel loading.
} > } I downloaded and tried that ofwboot.net you mantioned and it works.
} >
} >      I redownloaded ofwboot.net just in case...
} >
} > } Here's a log
} > }
} > } [snip]
} >
} >      My system only shows:
} >
} > {0} ok boot net
} > Boot device: /sbus/SUNW,hme@e,8c00000  File and args:
} > 13000
} >
} > What type of system do you have and what is its configuration?
}
} Ultra2 booting from i386.

     What is the configuration of your Ultra 2?  Mine has 512 MB of
RAM, two 300 MHz processor, a 4 GB HD, and a Creator 3D Series 1 video
card.

} I also have in my rc.conf
}
} rpcbind=YES
} mountd=YES
} nfs_client=YES

     You don't need this for a boot server.

} nfs_server=YES
}
} rarpd=YES
} bootparamd=YES

     My boot server works fine.  I can boot my SparcStation 5 from it.

}-- End of excerpt from Andrey Petrov