Subject: Re: netboot -- U2 -> i386
To: John Nemeth <>
From: Andrey Petrov <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/18/2005 22:56:32
On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 07:44:51PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
>      Going back to the Ultra 2, I see it downloading the last part of
> and acknowledging it.  Then nothing.  There are no more
> packets sent, nothing printed on the screen, and I can't do Stop-A.
> Presumably this is point where it should start to execute,
> but instead it is locking up hard.  I have a packet dump if it is
> needed (located at ).
> is from
> Does anybody have any ideas?  Does anybody have a binary of the current
> version of handy, so I can just grab the one file?

At some point ofwboot had been changed to use dhcp first and then bootparamd,
so if you don't have dhcpd configured and running then you'll see some delay
[around a minute] and then you have to see bootparam used and kernel loading.
I downloaded and tried that you mantioned and it works.

Here's a log

{0} ok boot net
Boot device: /sbus/SUNW,hme@e,8c00000  File and args:
13000 >> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.7
>> (, Wed Mar 23 01:17:12 UTC 2005)
bootp: no reply
Using BOOTPARAMS protocol: ip address:, hostname: rapier
root addr= path=/export/rapier/root
loadfile: reading header
elf64_exec: Booting /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,hme@e,8c00000/netbsd
symbols @ 0xfff2c3c0 127+204168 ..