Subject: Re: crash in ntfs read?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/2005 22:31:13
> In message <20050512134858.GA7934@home.chello.upc.cz>, Jaromir Dolecek writes:
> >> ntfs_vgetex(c1eb2000,2738,80,0,2) at netbsd:ntfs_vgetex+0x18f
> >
> >Can you post what gdb writes if you do 'list *(ntfs_vgetex+0x18f)' ?
> I don't have a symbol table for that kernel, so it doesn't produce
> anything.  I've booted a newer kernel, with -g; I expect another crash
> within a few days...
>
> 		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

Maybe it would be enough to do it (the analysis in gdb) with your new
kernel. Even if the sources are not exactly the same as for the kernel
that paniced, the code pointer is given relative to the beginning of the
ntfs_vgetex() function. So, if the code for that function didn't change
and you use the same compiler and compiler options, the result should be
identical.

Bye	Pavel