Subject: Re: vnconfig is broken
To: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/2005 17:39:12
--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 06:27:04PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> >More to the point -- what is the namespace for the argument?  Are we=20
> >naming files or vnd devices?  If the former, it makes sense to look in=
=20
> >. or whereever; if the latter -- and that's my opinion -- we shouldn't=
=20
> >worry about anything else.
>=20
>   That's really the problem.  It's both.  You can vnconfig the file
> that is mapped onto the vnd device.  It's a documented feature.  It
> should then tell you which vnd device it's mapped to.

It is? I'm looking in a tree from just before 3.0 was branched, and I=20
can't see anything that will work if you pass it the file name. We call=20
opendisk(3) in a number of places and then fire ioctl(2)s off at the=20
resulting file descriptor. That won't work if you point vnconfig at the=20
file which is the source.

Did I read the wrong man page?

Take care,

Bill