Subject: Re: mount_smbfs problems
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/10/2005 00:47:13
On Tue, 10 May 2005, Martin Husemann wrote:
> IIRC they were chosen to help certain compat setups where you use a /dev
> dir from another OS in one way or the other. A special layered filesystem
> (similar to UMAPFS) that maps device nodes according to a config file
> could be used to assist this setups instead and allow globaly unique device
> major numbers.

It seems most[1] ports use majors below 143 for MD drivers, and >143 for
MI drivers. I wonder why smb uses MD specific numbers in the first place.

  - Hubert

[1] sys/arch/pmppc/conf/majors.pmppc says 143 in one place, and 191
     in another. Need to bug Lennart...

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)