Subject: Re: mount_smbfs problems
To: Alex Pelts <>
From: Justin Newcomer <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/09/2005 18:38:34
I do and did run the samba server on the qube, lots of people do, its
running the smb client that became a problem.

I applied the changes to majors.cobalt
device-major    nsmb            char 98                 nsmb

and since I havent actually be able to build the -current userland
without it failing on some missing file error (even though i used cvs,
nother time, nother thread)

so i updated my MAKEDEV
with the suggestion from Hubert

               mkdev nsmb$unit c 98 $unit 644

i had the create the devices manually "./MAKEDEV nsmb"
but then everything worked
thank you all

the userland i have right now is from the 2.01 restore CD, but the
kernel has been recompiled several times to test and add / disable

one thing, the GENERIC kernel doesnt even have the "pseudo-device" or
the "file-system" options included (even with the #) so i had to copy
them from the i386 kernel

no offense, i love my qube, but seeing as how its probably not running
high end server stuff, and most people are using them for file storage

thank you for all your help