Subject: Re: current-i386 locking up under heavy load?
To: None <>
From: Alexey G. Khramkov <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/2005 15:44:48

Hisashi T Fujinaka <> writes:

> On Sat, 7 May 2005, Lars Nordlund wrote:
>> Fri 2005-05-06 klockan 09:44 -0700 skrev Hisashi T Fujinaka:
>>> OK, this is one of those useless reports because for the past three
>>> weeks, compiling large things on a -current box causes my system to lock
>>> up. No db> prompt, no console message, nothing in the logs, just plain
>>> lock up.
>>> By compiling large things, I mean building userland or something in
>>> pkgsrc that takes a while.
>>> This is a 1.4GHz P4 with RAMBUS and I haven't seen any sort of memory
>>> errors in the logs.
>>> If anyone has any suggestions (probably a serial console would be good?)
>>> for debugging, I'd appreciate them.
>> When that happens to any of my machines it is often heat related. Can
>> you get more cooling on the box while you are compiling and see if that
>> helps? Run the machine without the cover? Do not have it in a sound
>> silencer box. Install more fans? Underclock?
> Good idea! Let me make sure the fans are all working.

Cleaning the dust is good idea anyway, but it's not a solution. I have
trapped in it since my jump from 2.99 to 3.99.3 (April 1, good joke)
on my production server. When I was tired I compile the debug kernel
and I can say that it's not a tcp.sack problem (I drop it via sysctl,
kernel hangs anyway). I sure it called kern/30154.

> --
> Hisashi T Fujinaka -
> BSEE(6/86) + BSChem(3/95) + BAEnglish(8/95) + MSCS(8/03) + $2.50 = latte

- --
= Alexey G. Khramkov (agkhram) @ Infotech <agkhram{at}mercdev{dot}com> =
= GPG fingerprint : 944D 0C8B 343B 6C8D 50A1  061A E2DA 3E11 7765 6B47 =
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)