Subject: Re: wskbd change
To: NetBSD current <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 05/04/2005 05:25:09
On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 23:18:21 +0200, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> > > I've changed the auto repeat logic in wskbd slightly.
> > > Previously auto repeat was only avaliable in translated
> > > mode, but not in event mode.  Now it's available in both.
> >
> > I'm just curious - why do we need it in event mode?
> >
> > And, arguably, when the key *remains* pressed, logically no *events*
> > (presses / releases) really happen :).
>
> Because the only people using event mode are those that use
> /dev/wskbd in X, and they want autorepeat too.  And the X server
> does not emulate that, it relies on lower levels to do that.

[I started composing this reply and got distracted.  I see that most
of the things I wanted to bring up were already brought up down the
thread, so I cut them out].

Our sun kbd(4) driver does not do autorepeats in event mode.  Xsun
does autorepeat in the X server.

And note that X also provides selective control over autorepeat on a
per-key basis.

I still think that, conceptually, event mode should report real
events, so autorepeat doesn't really fit into this.

If we still think autorepeat in event mode is useful (and I doubt it
is), we should 1) have it off by default, 2) report autorepeat as a
new, distinct event type.

SY, Uwe