Subject: Re: Tab completion in /bin/sh
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/2005 16:58:09
Richard Rauch said:

>I never use file-complete.  I find it a ghastly feature, which is why
>I pointed out that it has to be able to be turned off.

I know people that use it all the time.

>As for removing /bin/ksh altogether: Well, I've been toying with
>the idea of setting my default shell to /bin/sh...  If you really
>want to be minimalist, we should ditch /bin/csh, since it is no
>longer actually required for anything (it used to be that the
>external "which" command was a csh script, I believe, but someone
>rewrote it; I think that that was the only place csh was required
>in the base system---other than also being a default shell for
>root).

I always use csh for route and ksh for users. You can't use "!!" in
any other normal shell except csh and tcsh.

Maybe someone should fix ksh so that NetBSD has a ksh that is under the
BSD copyright. I notice that AT&T ksh seems to be broken in NetBSD pkgsrc
and FreeBSD ports. It seems that AT&T doesn't really want ksh93 to get too
popular.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>