Subject: Re: trouble with 10baseT autoselect on wm0
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/2005 15:19:07
On Sep 21,  5:07pm, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
} On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:23:56PM +0200, Werner Backes wrote:
} > Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
} >
} > >> Every time something happened to the
} > >>interface, such as me putting it into promiscuous mode with tcpdump,
} > >>there would be another two minute wait for the autoselect.
} > >
} > >that's normal CatOS behaviour.  if you want to avoid this expensive
} > >autonegotiation, set the port to "switchport nonegotiate"
} >
} > This doesn't sound like an autonegotiation issue but more like a
} > spanning-tree problem.

     Spanning-tree takes 30 seconds to complete.

} If I remember properly (I can't connect to a cisco to check right now),
} this "nonegotiate" is not related to PHY autonegotiation. From memory,
} it's trying to negotiate with the other end if it should use 802.1Q on this
} port or plain ethernet.

     My experience is with IOS based switches, not CatOS; but, this
explanation makes more sense (ignoring the fact that most CatOS based
switches used ISL {Inter-Switch Link} -- Cisco's proprietary
pre-standard version of vlan trunking).  In any event, Cisco's manuals
are available at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/ .  This is basically
the on-line version of the documentation CD that ships with Cisco
products.

}-- End of excerpt from Manuel Bouyer