Subject: mpt driver failure with dual/single channel not single/single channel
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/28/2005 09:18:13
I am trying to debug a system that may be triggering a problem with
the mpt driver.  This is a follow-up to the issues reported in
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amd64/2005/04/21/0001.html, which
contains more detailed information such as dmesg output from the
system.

The system in question has an on-board single-channel LSI Logic
53c1030 Ultra320 SCSI chip that is detected as mpt0 by the kernel.  To
that I am adding one of the following (each are also detected by the
mpt driver):

- An additional PCI-X card with a dual-channel LSI Logic 53c1030
  Ultra320 SCSI chip, or

- An additional low-profile card with a single-channel configuration
  apparently just like the motherboard.

In the former (i.e., one single- and one dual-channel SCSI) case, the
kernel crashes whenever the first of the two on-board gigabit ethernet
chips (Broadcom BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet, bge driver) is enabled.  In
the latter (i.e., two single-channel SCSI) case, however, everything
seems to work fine.

This raises several questions for which I would really appreciate some
assistance answering.

- How might the kernel handle the mixed dual/single channel case
  differently from the two single channel case?

- Can you suggest any debugging steps that could help narrow down the
  problem?

- Would direct access to the machine help anyone discover solutions to
  the problem?

By the way, this is all with a quad opteron board running the NetBSD
v2.0.2/amd64 GENERIC.MP kernel or with slight modifications to wire
down the ethernet devices.

Any suggestions you can offer are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook