Subject: Re: build problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/2005 18:35:43
Bill Studenmund --> current-users (2005-04-14 08:46:31 -0700):
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:37:24PM +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> > I've done this, but now ld.elf_so complains about the missing libc.a:
>
> Yes, it will. ld.elf_so is the program that makes shared libraries work.
> Thus it has to be compiled without using them.

Sure, I just thought it would be possible to build a distribution with
MKSTATICLIB=no. AFAICT ld.elf_so only needs libc, so wouldn't it be enough
build a static libc even if MKSTATICLIB == no?

But of course you're right, the build system just did what I told it to
do.

> What exactly are you trying to do?
>
> I strongly suggest forgetting about all these conditional compile
> directives. They are not an officially-supported way to compile (last I
> heard); folks will fix issues you see, but they will not receive the main
> debugging emphasis that other compile issues will.
>
> I note you have "embed" in one of the path names, and so I suspect you may
> be trying to generate a release for an embedded system. I think you will
> be much more successful to just build a release into a destdir, then copy
> only the files you want from there into a hierarcy for your procuct. The
> latter method will permit you file-by-file control over exactly what you
> get. Build options will never be the precise, and you'll probably keep
> running into ussues like the ones you're seeing.

Yes, I'm building for embedded devices. I choose to set some MK* variables
to 'no' because
- my build host is not really fast / I'm not patient enough
- to keep the system size small, I don't want the binaries to be linked
  with libraries I don't need

So, building a regular distribution is not an option in this case.

Regards, Jukka

P.S.: after applying the patches I appended to PR 29968, building with
the following variables set to 'no' works fine:

MKBFD, MKBINUTILS, MKCVS, MKGCCCMDS, MKGDB, MKHESIOD, MKINET6, MKKERBEROS4,
MKPAM, MKPF, MKPOSTFIX, MKPROFILE, MKSENDMAIL, MKSKEY, MKSHARE, MKUUCP, MKYP

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~