Subject: Re: resetting USB ports?
To: NetBSD current-users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2005 15:50:02
My issues surrounding this seem largely to be due to some kind of
legacy interrupt routing problem. Using an MPACPI kernel or a kernel
with the IOAPIC enabled will probably help. I noticed in normal PIC
mode (GENERIC kernel) the only USB controller that was having
interrupts fired often was one that shared an IRQ with the onboard SATA
controller, where if I use the IOAPIC things seem to fire without a
problem.

My mouse still doesn't attach sometime with SET_ADDRESS_FAILED, but it
does that on MacOS X, Linux, and NetBSD, so I hardly expect that it's a
USB stack problem; and if I unplug it and plug it back into the same
port it is noticed. Without using the IOAPIC, most devices weren't
detected at boot and switching ports around didn't usually cause
anything to happen.

I already looked at it pretty closely using the debug options, the usb
events are going through but no interrupts are being registered by the
host controllers unless you use one that's sharing an IRQ, this is
probably due to the IRQ for the EHCI controller not firing and handing
the device off to UHCI in my case, or from weird interrupt routing
because it's a PCI Express board. That's as far as I know how to go.