Subject: Re: getpw*_r standards
To: Klaus Klein <kleink@mibh.de>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2005 10:40:37
--+QmoJrblcRudFCJH

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:49:48PM +0200, Klaus Klein wrote:
  | > Should NetBSD code follow the Solaris way for maximum
  | > portability?
  |=20
  | The issue here is that the standard does distinguish between
  | "successfully no entry found" and "an error caused no entry to be
  | found", viz. "A NULL pointer shall be returned at the location pointed
  | to by result on error _or_ if the requested entry is not found"
  | (getpwnam_r, emphasis added by me).  Its wording is less concise
  | for getpwnam, but comparing -current against 2.0 shows a regression
  | in now setting errno to ENOENT in the former case.

Please be more explicit, as it's unclear to me the context of
"in the former case".

2.0 doesn't have getpwnam_r().
3 and -current do.
AFAICT, Klaus & Nathan are recommending that getpwnam_r():
    *	return 0 and set result to NULL for "notfound", and
    *	return errno (!0) and set result to NULL for "error".
If I have understood that correctly, we can change get{pw,gr}*_r()
to do this.

2.0's getpwnam() returns NULL in both the "not found" and "error"
case, and in both cases errno is indeterminately set depending
on what the back-end modules (files, nis, dns, ...) do.
-current's getpwnam() has the same behaviour.

  | So yes, we should change the implementation, including the result
  | pointer location being set to NULL in the error (non-zero return)
  | case.

Once I understand exactly what you're asking to change,
I'll change it ;-)

Cheers,
Luke.

--+QmoJrblcRudFCJH