Subject: Re: Promiscuous mode blocks network traffic
To: Christos Zoulas <>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2005 19:55:30 (Christos Zoulas) writes:

> [When] NetBSD erroneously brings down and up the interface to set
> promiscuous mode, the switch restarts the vlan negotiation and that
> can take up to a minute.

Aha!  Yup, this problem showed up after the switch was replaced by a
modern Cisco that does proper auto-negotiation, including 1000Mbps.

> The solution is to fix the drivers to do the minimal work to
> enter/exit promiscuous mode where possible without affecting link
> state.

Yeah -- why do they have to take down the link to change mode?  It
seems to me the two things should be unrelated...?

Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.