Subject: Re: Promiscuous mode blocks network traffic
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
From: Arto Selonen <arto@selonen.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2005 14:41:42
Hi!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> I'm running 3.99.1 on an i386 laptop, with a wm0 network interface.

Only one 3.99.x (x=3) system currently available with one wm NIC.
Logged into the system over the network using SSH, started
'tcpdump -i wm0' as root, and then started pinging the system over
the network. Stopped the tcpdump, and then stopped the ping:

158 packets transmitted, 155 packets received, 1.9% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.185/0.377/2.179/0.269 ms

> After I stopped the tethereal run, connectivity came back.  This is
> completely repeatable, using either tethereal or tcpdump.

Could be related to the way some NICs were doing (not doing?) resets
on the NIC when starting/stopping tcpdump. At least I think I remember
some work being done on several drivers a month a few back (maybe Jan/Feb,
though I can't remember/find if those covered wm).

Or, it could be related to something else. I'm seeing wm-related problems
with 3.99.3 as well: kern/29903. In any case, wm has been a pain, lately.

Artsi
--
Everstinkuja 5 B 35                               Don't mind doing it.