Subject: Promiscuous mode blocks network traffic
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2005 12:44:34
I'm running 3.99.1 on an i386 laptop, with a wm0 network interface.

I was debugging a SIP problem, and needed to trace some traffic, so I
ran tethereal, and forgot to say "-p" to keep it from switching my wm0
into promiscuous mode.  The output from tethereal made me think that
the other end had fallen off the net -- until Mozilla told me some
automatic refresh had failed, and I realized that it was actually *my*
machine that was without connectivity.  All ssh sessions were hung.
After I stopped the tethereal run, connectivity came back.  This is
completely repeatable, using either tethereal or tcpdump.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.