Subject: what is today's way of setting su group?
To: None <>
From: Arto Selonen <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/2005 09:11:00

Just upgraded to 3.99.3 with sources from us2 anoncvs mirror (~20050404).
Previous system was from ~20050204. su(1) now claims that:

su: You are not listed in the correct secondary group (wheel) to su root.
su: Sorry: authentication error

Well, previously I didn't need to belong there as there was /etc/mk.conf:

SU_ROOTAUTH=            rootauth

That environment variable name was changed some time ago. Then PAM
came and I needed to edit /etc/pam.d/su. Now what?

PS. I undestand that security is an ongoing process, but it is still
     annoying to find out that you've upgraded yourself out of the loop.

     I don't think running release with only documented features at their
     default values is an option.

Everstinkuja 5 B 35                               Don't mind doing it.
FIN-02600 Espoo         Don't mind not doing it.
Finland              tel +358 50 560 4826     Don't know anything about it.