Subject: Re: mpt(4) issues, was: Why not softdep per default?
To: Hauke Fath <>
From: Manuel Bouyer <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/2005 18:39:13
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 05:05:12PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
> Am 31.03.2005 um 15:46 Uhr +0200 schrieb Manuel Bouyer:
> >> disks
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Swapping the controller cards between the machines made no difference, so
> >> it looks like a 32bit vs. 64bit PCI issue (bandwidth?).
> >
> >I don't follow you, do you mean you have a box with 64bit PCI slot,
> >one with 32bit PCI slot, and only the 32bit one has issues with the mpt
> >driver ?
> The two machines running netbsd-2 ATM are 32bit pci boards. They
> sort-of-work under light load with the occasional panic during the
> daily cron jobs. Moving the disks to the two newer machines (64bit
> pci) makes NetBSD jam while booting to multi-user. Using the older
> controllers (all are 64bit pci cards) makes no difference.
> So both machine generations have the mpt problem, only it hits much
> worse/earlier with the 64bit pci boards.

It's just a supposition, but it's possible that the firmware of the
adapter is running out of ressources. It then gives back a status message
which isn't handled properly by the driver. It's possible that this
status code appeared in newer version of the firmware, and the driver wasn't
updated for it.

Manuel Bouyer <>