Subject: Re: mpt(4) issues, was: Why not softdep per default?
To: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/2005 18:39:13
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 05:05:12PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
> Am 31.03.2005 um 15:46 Uhr +0200 schrieb Manuel Bouyer:
> >> disks
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Swapping the controller cards between the machines made no difference, so
> >> it looks like a 32bit vs. 64bit PCI issue (bandwidth?).
> >
> >I don't follow you, do you mean you have a box with 64bit PCI slot,
> >one with 32bit PCI slot, and only the 32bit one has issues with the mpt
> >driver ?
>
> The two machines running netbsd-2 ATM are 32bit pci boards. They
> sort-of-work under light load with the occasional panic during the
> daily cron jobs. Moving the disks to the two newer machines (64bit
> pci) makes NetBSD jam while booting to multi-user. Using the older
> controllers (all are 64bit pci cards) makes no difference.
>
> So both machine generations have the mpt problem, only it hits much
> worse/earlier with the 64bit pci boards.

It's just a supposition, but it's possible that the firmware of the
adapter is running out of ressources. It then gives back a status message
which isn't handled properly by the driver. It's possible that this
status code appeared in newer version of the firmware, and the driver wasn't
updated for it.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>