Subject: Resource needs
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/2005 13:14:13
I'm comparing NetBSD with Debian Linux running both on the (almost) same,
poorly equipped machines (TX, K6-2/300, 64 MB RAM). NetBSD V2.0, with kernel
recompiled to suit the equipment, and Debian Woody with kernel 2.2.26.

It seems, that NetBSD needs more memory (about twice as much?) - just
because, f.e. while on the Debian system I can use "full" Mozilla (with
very little swapping), ran in IceWM - on the NetBSD, using Firefox (which
is less "heavy" than Mozilla, and in fvwm2 environment) I notice regular
swapping. When trying to make use out of OpenOffice, I can still almost
normally work on the Debian system (although it's not especially
comfortable), but under NetBSD it's impossible - heavy swapping while in
editing mode of OOWriter (not even touching the keyboard).

And so I would to obtain some info: how can be the resource-needs of NetBSD
compared to that of Linux (and/or FreeBSD)?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski